Dr. Alba Galán
Dr. Alba Galán completed her undergraduate studies in Molecular Biology in 1996 and earned her Ph.D at the University of Alcalá de Henares, Madrid (Spain) in 2000. During this time, she was investigating some of the different pathways that regulate apoptotic cell death induced by anti-cancer drugs in a human leukemic cell line. Afterwards, she moved on to the Neuroscience field to study the molecular mechanisms associated with visceral pain and spent 2 years as a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Alcalá de Henares, Madrid (Spain) before leaving for the University of McGill, Montreal (Canada) in 2003. At McGill, Dr. Galan has been the recipient of the Krnjevic Research Award for her work with Dr. Cervero on Pain mechanisms as well as receiving Best Poster prize at McGill's Annual Pain Day. In 2005, she was awarded the Melville prize for best postdoctoral presentation at our annual Research Day. Alba's work on the vertebrate retina is currently funded by an operating grant from the N.I.H.
10. Ingrid Osswald, Alba Galán & Derek Bowie. Light triggers expression of philanthotoxin-insensitive Ca2+-permeable AMPA receptors in the developing rat retina. J. Physiol. (Lond)
9. Alba Galán, Jennifer M.A. Laird & Fernando Cerveró. In vivo recruitment by painful stimuli of AMPA receptor subunits to the plasma membrane of spinal cord neurons. Pain 112: 315-323, 2004.
8. Alba Galán, Fernando Cerveró & Jennifer M.A. Laird. Extracellular signaling-regulated kinase-1 and -2 (ERK 1/2) mediate referred hyperalgesia in a murine model of visceral pain. Mol. Brain Res. 116: 126-134, 2003.
7. Alba Galán, J. Antonio López-García, Fernando Cerveró & Jennifer M.A. Laird. Activation of spinal extracellular signalling-regulated kinase-1 and –2 by intraplantar carrageenan in rodents. Neurosci. Lett 322 (1):37-40, 2002.
6. Alba Galán, Alfonso Troyano, Nuria E. Vilaboa, Carlos Fernández, Elena de Blas & Patricio Aller. Modulation of the stress response during apoptosis and necrosis induction in cadmium-treated U-937 human promonmocytic cells. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1538: 38-46, 2001.
5. Alba Galán, Laura García-Bermejo, Nuria E. Vilaboa, Alfonso Troyano, Elena de Blas & Patricio Aller. The role of intracellular oxidation in death induction (apoptosis and necrosis) in human promonocytic cells treated with stress inducers (cadmium, haet, X-rays). Eur. J. Cell Biol. 80: 312-320, 2001.
4. Nuria E. Vilaboa, Alba Galán, Alfonso Troyano, Elena de Blas & Patricio Aller. Regulation of Multidrug Resistance 1 (MDR1/P-glycoprotein) Gene Expression and Activity by Heat-Shock Transcription Factor 1 (HSF1). J. Biol. Chem. 275 (32) :24970-24976 , 2000.
3. Alba Galán, Laura García-Bermejo, Alfonso Troyano, Nuria E. Vilaboa, Elena de Blas, Marcelo Kazanietz & Patricio Aller. Stimulation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase is an early regulatory event for the cadmium-induced apoptosis in human promonoytic cells. J. Biol. Chem. 275 (15):11418-11424, 2000.
2. Alba Galán, Laura García-Bermejo, Nuria E. Vilaboa, Elena de Blas, & Patricio Aller. Uncoupling of apoptosis and Jun/AP-1 activity in human promonocityc cells treated with DNA-damaging and stress-inducing agents. Eur. J. Cell Biol. 79: 1-9, 2000.
1. Laura García-Bermejo, Nuria E. Vilaboa, Concepción Pérez, Alba Galán, Elena de Blas, & Patricio Aller. Modulation of heat shock protein 70 (HSP70) gene expression by sodium butyrate in U-937 promonocytic cells: relationship with differentiation and apoptosis. Experimental Cell Research 236: 268-274, 1997.