Donors, Supporters and Volunteers
Today, cancer has touched almost everyone’s life in one way or another. This far-reaching, often deadly disease has many faces and affects without bias.
Hope is more than a concept, however, in the fight against cancer: it is a reality. Research has resulted in advancements in treatment and prevention that are having a huge impact on many lives. And lives are also being saved.
Research has been inspired and made possible by the countless efforts of so many individuals—ordinary people who are making an enormous difference in the struggle to eradicate this disease.
The Department of Oncology is extremely grateful for each and every one of its many benefactors, whose generous support contributes enormously to our ability to realize our goals. Each individual donation is a step towards a positive future.
Following are some of the Department of Oncology's most generous donors.
The Bronfman Family
The creation of the Department of Oncology was made possible by a generous donation from the Bronfman family, who chose this manner in which to commemorate the late Minda de Gunzburg, daughter of Samuel and Saidye Bronfman, wife of Baron Alain de Gunzburg, and herself a victim of cancer.
As a result of the Bronfmans’ generosity, the Gerald Bronfman Centre for Cancer Research became a reality. The Marjorie and Gerald Bronfman Endowment provides the means to initiate innovative programs in cancer research that will have a profound impact on the quality of patient care.
Wall of Plaques in the Gerald Bronfman Centre
The Cancer Research Society Division of Epidemiology
Minde de Gunzburg Chair in Oncology
Herbert Black Chair in Surgical Oncology
Eric M. Flanders Chair in Palliative Medicine
Mike Rosenbloom Chair in Radiation Oncology
Louis Lowenstein Chair in Hematology & Oncology
Rita Steinberg Goldfarb Scientist Award
Janine Riesman Research Scientist Award
Helen & Sam Steinberg Family Career Scientist Award
Gertrude & Stanley Vinberg Clinical Scientist Award
The Birks Family Foundation
The Gerald & Marjorie Bronfman Foundation
The Schouela Family
The Webster Family
Lynda Turner Memorial Fund
The Cedar Cancer Institute at the RVH
Sheila Kussner in Appreciation
Ruth & Alex Working Scholarship Fund
Rona & Irving Leavitt Family Foundation Scholarship
The Department of Oncology is privileged to have nine endowed chairs.
- The Herbert Black Chair in Surgical Oncology, held by Franck Bladou
- The Jack Cole Chair in Pediatric Oncology & Hematology, held by Janusz Rak
- The Minda De Gunzburg Chair in Oncology, held by Eduardo Franco
- The Eric M. Flanders Chair in Palliative Medicine, held by Bernard Lapointe
- The Alexander Goldfarb Research Chair in Medical Oncology, held by Michael Pollak
- The Jeanne and Jean-Louis Levesque Chair in Cancer Research, held by Michel Tremblay
- The Michael Rosenbloom Chair in Radiation Oncology, held by Carolyn Freeman
- The Christine and Herschel Victor/Hope & Cope Chair in Psychosocial Oncology, held by Carmen Loiselle
- The Louis Lowenstein Chair in Hematology and Oncology, held by Jean-Pierre Routy