Medicine Coat of Arms
The coat of arms of the faculty of
medicine (below) first appeared on a faculty calendar
in 1884. Although the details of its origin,
including the identity of the artist who devised it,
are not known, the principal elements of the coat of
arms used by the university from 1866 were
incorporated into the design. The present coat of
arms of the university dates from 1906 when the 1866
version was modified in order to incorporate those
heraldic emblems of a learned institution that had
been inadvertently omitted from the earlier design.
The faculty of medicine, however, continues to use
its more ancient if less learned symbol.
back to the